Death Bat 4

Posted by Jason Steele | Saturday 15 January 2011 12:54 am

Because of scheduling problems I wasn’t able to do the usual “long” live-action video I typically do over the holidays (Dad Cop 2, Doctor Fabulous, etc), but I did film three shorter ones.

Here’s the first of those, it’s called “Death Bat 4.”  It’s basically a scene taken from the middle of an imaginary low budget 1970s horror film.

As for the blog – right now I’m just using it to post video updates, but I have a major site change happening soon that will make the blog a bigger part of FilmCow.  When that happens I’ll be reguarly posting behind-the-scenes stuff and tutorials, etc.  SO STAY TUNED MY FRIENDS.

• Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Fark
  • NewsVine
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit

33 Comments

1. Comment by SirFriend — January 15, 2011 @ 1:17 am

furst! oh and good video :3

2. Comment by Landy — January 15, 2011 @ 1:28 am

Cool! When will you be releasing the other two?

3. Comment by Pete — January 15, 2011 @ 4:03 am

Vegetable friends?

Oh, and your live action films are and will always be your best films in my book!

4. Comment by doijj — January 15, 2011 @ 5:36 am

Sweet!!! Continuing my tuned.

In times like these I ask myself, what would Jason Steele do?

5. Comment by Demons Dog — January 15, 2011 @ 8:33 am

this was one of your best
    I loved it

6. Comment by Phil — January 15, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Excellent acting and effects in this one.

Surely there’s enough stuff out now for another DVD. I demand another DVD.

7. Comment by Josh — January 15, 2011 @ 10:15 am

wonderful

8. Comment by Clyphe — January 15, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Honestly, that wasn’t your best, but a nice thing to watch.

Oh yeah, can you answer my email?? thanx

9. Comment by aiden — January 15, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

^^ … jason ur so freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait for the new crap ^^

10. Comment by Peter — January 15, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

this is really good defeanly worth the wate. Hope the next video does not take this long too make.

11. Comment by captain_e — January 15, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

Oh sweet! Three new Filmcow shorts! Can’t wait to see the other two.

12. Comment by personman — January 15, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Cool, I miss the more in-depht stuff.
    Weirdest video I’ve ever seen. That poor kangaroo.

13. Comment by BURGERMAN — January 15, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Death Bat would get along great with Ponita. Great video.

14. Comment by Lilly — January 17, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

Well, that was…….interesting. Keep the videos coming!

15. Comment by Mars — January 17, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

Jason.
    Your shots. They looked delicious.
    “They’re here” was the best one.
    Did you light it? I can’t really tell.
    The sculpting of “The Foot” was exceptional
    during many of the shots. Mainly say, just
    before he goes out alone.
    2:16 you crossed the line, in fact that whole
    shot seemed lazy. Head height camera facing
    towards a gang of hooligans screaming about
    vaginas is something you see at middle-school
    parties.

If your shooting for “70′s” You hit and missed.
    Sepia coloring was a common style choice, that
    worked well. The film was a little dirty in
    many indy films, but not that dirty. The random
    blotches and hairs were quite distracting.
    Almost Mark Borchardt’s style.
    MOst film didn’t clip blacks and white near what
    your color correcting did. “low budget” meant
    “no color correction.” The film’s contrast may
    have been better untouched.

Story wise, you had something with the “child.”
    It was a lot less dramatic version of CHINATOWN.
    All the subtle details said earlier for that pay-
    off was something I haven’t seen often in your
    shorts. Otherwise it was a classic Jason film.

16. Comment by Mars — January 17, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

I forgot, Back lights would have been mighty helpfull in this particular film to center our focus on the actors more than the blinds. I understand you were really short on space.

17. Comment by warz — January 17, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

Ya know Mr. Steele, I gotta say: I was really disappointed with this one. I mean, the entire Death Bat series has been in a steady decline in quality, but this one was especially lacking. You didn’t even explain the cliffhanger you left at the end of Death Bat III! Very disappointing. Very Disappointing.

(Good job Jason!)

18. Comment by warz — January 17, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

FYI, some of us are still hoping for Space Fish. No matter how horrible it may turn out, the people demand it. Cause the theme was so great. It is the highest played song on my iTunes. Cause it’s amazing. And I need a video to match the music with. SPACE FISH IS NECESSARY.

19. Comment by Jason Steele — January 17, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

Mars – I like the “vagina” shot, I kept it wide specifically so I could get the scene in one unedited take. It might not be pretty, but sometimes what works best for comedy isn’t always what looks best composition-wise. And I think I made the right choice, according to YouTube Insight that’s the most re-watched part of the video (and “vagina” is the most often used word in the comments.) I did shoot close ups and coverage, but it just wasn’t as funny as seeing it all play out in real time, in my opinion.

Also, the over-use of film dirt was intentional – I did some tests and the “correct” amount of dirt just doesn’t show up with YouTube’s compression algorithms.

As for color correcting and contrast, the video is actually almost entirely untreated outside of tinting. The contrast was a result of shooting super low-light with a prime lens wide-open to f/1.4.

I’m sure there’s a lot of stuff I got wrong with this video, but I think it’s fun to film with a “make it up as I go along” attitude. The script was written an hour before shooting, there was no rehearsing, the shots and blocking were figured out literally line by line as I filmed them, and we got the whole thing done in a couple of hours.

20. Comment by Robert — January 18, 2011 @ 12:14 am

Another outstanding pice of work mister Steele  your talent and imagination cannot be bested. Good job

21. Comment by grapefruit — January 18, 2011 @ 10:00 am

i lovee this site<3 xox. jason is a GENIUS! my favourite right now is bino the elephant and charlie will always be a special part of my life.

22. Comment by Clyphe — January 18, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

YAAAAA!!! SPACE FISH!!! MAKE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!! plz?

23. Comment by Penelope — January 19, 2011 @ 11:07 am

I think it would be hilarious if they were…

BRITISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Comment by Peter — January 20, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

Hay Jason I just wonder do you do this and get money out of it or just doing this just for fun? Just a thought i had.

25. Comment by Jason Steele — January 22, 2011 @ 11:37 am

Peter – Yeah, currently this is my job.

26. Comment by grapefruit — January 24, 2011 @ 9:07 am

well i dont know about you guys buuut… im putting my 10000 savings bond into this, like investing. Dudde this could be a billion dollar stockmarket! And I personally think if you want part, invest now!!

27. Comment by grapefruit — January 24, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Noo i dont want money frm people. There should be a stockmarket on here, and Jason could totally host it all :) so in theory, everything goes to him.

28. Comment by coolman1081 — January 24, 2011 @ 11:05 am

My Death Bat Daughter is a WHORE!!

29. Comment by Zachary — January 25, 2011 @ 9:36 am

This is awesome, Jason, good work! Could we please get a theatrical poster like Dad Cop 2 and Edwardo Spatulahands?

30. Comment by abby — January 27, 2011 @ 8:59 am

I hate opening my cupboards and seeing Breadsticks staring out at me, knowing it will be a long time before i can finally eat them. Fills me with despair and dissapointment.

31. Comment by coolman1081 — January 27, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

Is there going to be a Bino the Elephant 2? :)

32. Comment by Peter — January 28, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

When is the next little movie comming.

33. Comment by coolman1081 — February 3, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

I thought you were going to release them every other week? Wheres the new Video? :D

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.