Treasure Chest

Posted by Jason Steele | Wednesday 8 December 2010 8:58 pm

Here’s a quick live-action short I filmed yesterday with Chris and Nick.  The majority of it was improvised.

New cartoon coming next week!  Sorry for the long wait, we should be back to a regular release schedule now.

• Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Fark
  • NewsVine
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit

25 Comments

1. Comment by Jake — December 8, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

First!

2. Comment by Eric — December 8, 2010 @ 9:38 pm

Nice! Looking forward to the new stuff. Keep up the awesome work.

3. Comment by Kyle — December 8, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Yay! First comment lol!
    i’ve been wondering when you guys were finally gonna release something new.

4. Comment by .... — December 8, 2010 @ 10:49 pm

I love you. Please don’t leave me alone again!

5. Comment by Mars — December 8, 2010 @ 11:21 pm

First of all, I LOVE the closeups this time. Let me guess, Mark II? I must say I’m a Depth of field addict. To add that it actually meant something in your shots, good buy. I would go manual aperture. It was noticeable every time you’d move the camera and zoom it would get lighter and darker.
    Use color. (software) You don’t have to go overboard. Be sure the shots in one scene match a little better. Nick was a little yellow. Contrast was just fine.
    Is it just me or was the background darker in the master than the rest?
    Cut was great. Just when I needed to see a reaction I got it. You’ve improved on that.
    For a quick video, It was quite nice.

What, no milk?

6. Comment by Jason Steele — December 8, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

Mars – I’m using a Canon 60d now. I was actually on manual aperture, I just forgot to turn off Auto ISO for most of the shoot (still getting used to filming with a DSLR.) Everything was color corrected but I did a very rushed job (I’ve got a bigger project to start tomorrow.) You’re right about the yellow – that was actually a result of the color correction and I noticed it too late. I’m not sure why the background was darker in the wide – I noticed it while editing and compensated a little in color correction, but obviously not enough. This video was basically a way to test out my new camera and the new workflow that comes with it. Which is why there was a whole “crazy depth-of-field” sequence, I figured I needed to get that out of my system, haha. I’m mostly an animation guy so pretty much every live-action movie I make is me learning as I go along.

7. Comment by Jason Williams — December 9, 2010 @ 7:50 am

That was hilarious Jason!
    I think the improvisation worked really well and I enjoyed the video. Chris was really good. You should try another skit like this.

8. Comment by doijj — December 9, 2010 @ 9:28 am

@ Jason Steele – Is your project your annual Christmas movie with your family?? They are always my favorite!

9. Comment by Demons Dog — December 9, 2010 @ 11:41 am

it was great, Chris’ performances are always hilarious. And I loved the close ups in this, you should definately keep the depth of field in your other live action shorts.

10. Comment by matt — December 9, 2010 @ 11:53 am

regular cheerios

nice

11. Comment by Peter — December 9, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

funny just funny no no’s for you keep up the great work

12. Comment by theGREENunicorn239 — December 9, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

NOT FUNNY

13. Comment by Mars — December 9, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

Auto Iso? I’ve never heard of that one. Bummer. 60D, Still amazing. I should mention that they struggle with matchmoving. I’d try it out a few times before you shoot for a major effect.

Seems like most my review was explained. Looking forward to your next short.

14. Comment by Jason Steele — December 9, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

Mars – Yeah, the 60d’s video mode defaults to manual aperture and shutter, but the ISO stays on automatic if you don’t manually set it. As for match moving, I have an After Effects plug-in that can correct the rolling shutter issue, which should help with any tracking I need to do.

15. Comment by Kyle — December 10, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

The main page is saying LLamas 4 is next!! WOOHOO!

BTW, Sorry for saying I was first. When I was writing it, it said there was no posts. Must have been a timezone thing.

16. Comment by This is My Name — December 10, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

I’ve gotta say, this video did not particularly strike me as good. It didn’t make any sense, it was completely out of the blue, and after all this waiting, I had hoped for SOMETHING worth watching.

17. Comment by BURGERMAN — December 10, 2010 @ 11:33 pm

Hahah… short and sweet.

18. Comment by (different) Kyle — December 11, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

Glad to hear that you’ll be working on something big soon.

19. Comment by personman — December 12, 2010 @ 11:26 am

I never would have guessed what “F” stood for.

20. Comment by Steve — December 13, 2010 @ 1:19 am

These are regular cheerios!

21. Comment by Steve — December 13, 2010 @ 1:20 am

Now everyone looks like Bill Cosby!

22. Comment by Robert — December 13, 2010 @ 8:13 am

Oh were do I begin?! REGULAR CHEERIOS?!?! AND THE SWEATER!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH

23. Comment by Flippythemaster — December 14, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

I lol’d. Just for the record, Jason, which rolling shutter plugin are you using? : >

24. Comment by Snurgle — December 15, 2010 @ 7:55 am

the torture of sweaters. I shudder to think of it.

25. Comment by Lilly — December 15, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

NO! NOT SWEATERS! Why do I have the sneaking suspion Carl had something to do with this?

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.