Special features for a FilmCow DVD?

Posted by Jason Steele | Saturday 16 May 2009 9:42 pm

It’s just the thing everyone is dying for: a DVD version of the videos on FilmCow! Only this time you pay money instead of watching them for free! That’s right, videos you already get for free on the internet, might one day be available to buy instead. Woo!

With that out of the way, we’ve been thinking about eventually putting together a “FilmCow DVD,” and have been brainstorming possible special features. What kind of special features would all of you be interested in seeing?

Right now here are the ideas:

• Exclusive videos created specifically for the disk.
  • Two commentary tracks for each video (one serious, one not.)
  • Behind-the-scenes crap.
  • Deleted scenes / out-takes / etc.
  • Badgers.
  • Re-dubs of our old movies with entirely different story-lines.

So… if you have any ideas of what you’d like to see on a potential FilmCow DVD post them here! The plan is to make the DVD pretty cheap, and packed with enough special features that it actually becomes worth paying money for. Delicious, delicious money. Which will then be used to buy frisbees and pogs.

• Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Fark
  • NewsVine
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit

105 Comments

1. Comment by LostOverThere — May 16, 2009 @ 10:35 pm

Epic! Personally, I’d like to see any of your really old films (just as extras). Also, out takes – provided you still have the footage would be amazing.

2. Comment by Jason Steele — May 16, 2009 @ 10:42 pm

Unfortunately most of my old movies have copyrighted music and can’t be sold, thus the “re-dub” idea.

I still have all of the raw footage from most of the FilmCow movies so plan on seeing lots and lots and lots of out-takes, hah.

3. Comment by Jason Williams — May 16, 2009 @ 11:41 pm

I like the features you mentioned. Anything that’s not currently on the site would be good to see. Maybe you could add a leaflet inside the DVD saying: paragliding ostrich with an image of one. Footage from your film school days would be good to see if it’s within reason, but someone already mentioned that. Or even alternative endings for shorts and movies if you could somehow produce it.

4. Comment by Brian — May 16, 2009 @ 11:52 pm

Do some sort of bio on yourself. Maybe have Matt Books or Knox or someone to just interview you; know how you got into film, your influences, your time at full sail, where the idea of film cow came from…

Nothing that needs to really be all that serious, just some background on why everything is and how it came to be.

5. Comment by Terminal D6 — May 16, 2009 @ 11:56 pm

hmm a DVD that you have to buy full of stuff that you can get for free on the internet you say?
    sounds like a winner!

PS: that’s what homestarrunner.com did with their cartoons and they sell really well!

6. Comment by Terminal D6 — May 17, 2009 @ 12:00 am

oh man i’ve already commented and only minuets later HERE I AM AGAIN!!!
    so ya… maybe you could have like some kind of artoons that didn’t get finished like “ganon is a dick” or “angry” or eaven the “financial help bar” i’d love to see more of those…

7. Comment by Fanatism — May 17, 2009 @ 2:45 am

Have knox make a grilled cheese sandwich dressed as a ninja turtle.

Nah but seriously, we all would like to see you make a live action Charlie, so that everyone know how to make it right.

Also, make shipping international *_*

8. Comment by TheSpamMaster — May 17, 2009 @ 3:29 am

You have to have karaoke editions of all your songs on the bonus features!!

9. Comment by Jam — May 17, 2009 @ 5:34 am

A Spatula Madness Trailer. :D

10. Comment by Filmcow Fan — May 17, 2009 @ 5:39 am

Outtakes would be awsome!
    i will probably buy this DVD then.
    You also gotta have behind-the-scenes, stuff, I’ve wanted to know for ages what it is like making a Jason live-action-movie Steele.
    Commentary would be great. I am definitely buying this now.
    And Badgers. And Badges. Lots of them.

11. Comment by Devils Dog — May 17, 2009 @ 6:00 am

well for one thing, you should put all your TV pitches onto this, and also, to label it as Volume One so that if you make another dvd with the newer movies, you don’t have to waste space putting all the old stuff on it, and so that we don’t waste money buying the same stuff over and over again.

Movies I Want to see on this
    Tomato (Something tells me this is better than the actual Orange)
    Secret Agent Bob
    Battle For The Portal
    More or less all your old stuff

And also a trailer for Spatula Madness

And a video blog of the making of one of your movies

12. Comment by Devils Dog — May 17, 2009 @ 6:02 am

Oh. and also the Hot Topic Charlie vid if possible

And Nike should do commentary with you on the non serious ones

13. Comment by Phil — May 17, 2009 @ 6:04 am

Joke commentary, re-dubs, silly video extras, trailers, and the obligatory music video.

14. Comment by Flippy — May 17, 2009 @ 10:01 am

I’d like to see how you made the Time Hat for World of Dentists. Plus, a “biography” about yourself that’s totally ridiculous. A documentary-style one, that is. Like those stupid things you see on ET or something.

15. Comment by Mart — May 17, 2009 @ 10:47 am

If you recut your old movies, you could make the music yourself, instead of using the copyright onee. I mean, your music is great.

Yea, lots and lots of behind the scenes. Like how you did the Dad Cop 2 on top of the speeding car, thing, that’s gotta be fake, though it didn’t look like it. Also woul like to see some raw footage from “Hanging out by the grill”, that’d be funny

16. Comment by David Davidson — May 17, 2009 @ 10:49 am

Nice with a DVD. What would be great (for you also to get some extra cash) would be to have a “limited item” in the shop which you only could buy with a code or something that you get with the DVD.

17. Comment by Devils Dog — May 17, 2009 @ 12:30 pm

this is annoying, every time a post is recent, and i comment on it, i’m like the first or third person to comment on it, then an hour later i’m like the ninth person

i also want to see video blog.

And you could also release knoxkast episode 75 with it… somehow

18. Comment by personman — May 17, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

Whatever you do, don’t be like those douche bags who take their videos off of the internet so they make more money off their DVDs and we have to watch the cartoons off of fansites. Please.

19. Comment by Samuel Shaver (Dr. Evil) — May 17, 2009 @ 2:20 pm

Sounds like a great idea, I’ll certainly buy it.

20. Comment by Jason Steele — May 17, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

personman – why on earth would I do that.

21. Comment by toonsvi — May 17, 2009 @ 2:55 pm

if i’m not mistaken
    wasn’t there another (original) cloak movie you made
    if so, it would be cool to have that
    ¡Mi casa se hace del tacos frío!

22. Comment by Akuma125 — May 17, 2009 @ 2:56 pm

KKR 75

23. Comment by Jason Steele — May 17, 2009 @ 3:00 pm

toonsvi – the other Cloak movie is still available on Newgrounds. I’d rather not put it on the disk because it’s terrible, hah.

24. Comment by Devils Dog — May 17, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

i thought it was good, not animation wise though

and i think he means an episode 2

25. Comment by Stefan — May 17, 2009 @ 3:10 pm

Ooo… I just only want THE next part of Charlie’s Adventure !

26. Comment by Samuel Shaver (Dr. Evil — May 17, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

Jason- When might this snazzy new DVD be released?

27. Comment by Matthew — May 17, 2009 @ 4:10 pm

I think everything you mentioned in the post would be snazztastic

28. Comment by Jared Johnson — May 17, 2009 @ 4:45 pm

I know that this is pretty much just a behind-the-scenes feature, but I’d like to see one of those Constructing A Scene featurettes, whether it be for a live-action or an animated scene. I always find it interesting to see a deconstruction of the process behind it all.

29. Comment by Scorch — May 17, 2009 @ 5:07 pm

For the DVD you could be like X-men and have character spin-offs. Or how The blue and pink unicorns met charlie.

30. Comment by SR — May 17, 2009 @ 5:18 pm

Great ideas already. Maybe behind the scenes of some of your animated videos as well. How cheap is the DVD? (If you know.)

Other than that, when are you releasing your next movies? I’ve been looking fowrward to the release of Gods of Olypus. (And other ones.) Keep updating your blog with those status updates!

Thanks!

31. Comment by Blane — May 17, 2009 @ 7:08 pm

Do like a documentary on the history of Filmcow, except its fake and totally ridiculous. Like a short mockumentary.

32. Comment by Amanda — May 17, 2009 @ 7:49 pm

Some sort of interactive game with the unicorns (if that’s possible) would be awesome! Sounds like you’re going to make millions on the DVDs… I’ll definetly buy one. I love purchasing things that I can already view for free. ;)

33. Comment by federico! — May 17, 2009 @ 8:50 pm

make a video of yourself preparing a sandwhich

34. Comment by AishaLove — May 17, 2009 @ 9:55 pm

I feel if you do release vids specifically for the DVD you should at leat lets say 6 months after the dvd is out release low quality versions for us that are poor and need our filmcow fix :P

35. Comment by Jared Johnson — May 17, 2009 @ 10:27 pm

I actually really do want serious commentaries/bios. You don’t seem like one to want to do that, but I’m really interested in the stuff you have to say, and it gets tiring to have special features — ATHF sets and whatnot — be purely ridiculous and uninformative.

36. Comment by Kris — May 17, 2009 @ 10:35 pm

I want Op4 Operator. Yes.

37. Comment by T-Bug — May 17, 2009 @ 10:59 pm

omg!!!! there must b games just like amanda said!!!! oh and that swiffer thing…. is there any more vids like that i LUVED it!!!!!

FILM COW ROCKS!!!!!! plz make videos 4 all of eternity…..plz?!

38. Comment by Anon — May 18, 2009 @ 5:00 am

eh.
    Life of Jason Steele.
    KKR – ep 75.
    Knox and Jason being total douches.
    Video tutorial of that delicious smoothie you mentioned in one of the KKRs.
    Spatula Madness Trailer.

39. Comment by Amanda — May 18, 2009 @ 11:24 am

I second federico!’s request!!

40. Comment by Devils Dog — May 18, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

AishaLove

If he does that, then why wold anyone buy the DVD?

it’s only going to be like $10 or 7£ or what ever

41. Comment by Wkid8 — May 18, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

The Badger idea is the best. The re-dubs and deleted scenes are a must, and the funny commentary would be awesome. Try to include Ostrtiches. And new videos.

42. Comment by wonops — May 18, 2009 @ 3:02 pm

how bout some films that arn’t on the site that youve made like orange op4 operator the ninja film with patrick the hurricane charlie footage the footage of when gians apartment flooded etc etc

43. Comment by wonops — May 18, 2009 @ 3:03 pm

and real quickly just to add KNOXKAST EP 75 ;-)

44. Comment by Jason Steele — May 18, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

I’m not going to put many (or any, not sure yet) of my super-old films on the disk because of size limitations and copyright issues. A lot of my old movies use copyrighted music and so they have to be excluded, and I want to make sure I can fit as much new, exclusive material as possible, and putting a bunch of old movies on the disk might take up too much space. We’ll see though.

45. Comment by Robbie — May 18, 2009 @ 3:11 pm

What about a sort of walk-through on how you typically go about putting together a film or animation? You could go through step-by-step- just enough to show the basics.

Hey, you could include that last episode of Knox Kast…

46. Comment by Tony — May 18, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

Well, if you want the truth, it would be pretty sweet to have all of them. But that probably wouldn’t make a profit! :) I would put in a vote for the exclusive vids not on the site, and the re-dubs of your old movies. Can’t wait!

47. Comment by Jason Steele — May 18, 2009 @ 3:38 pm

Robbie (and the others who suggested something similar):

I’ll probably put together some sort of “How I Make A Video” thing for the disk, I think that’s something people might be interested in seeing considering the explosion in movie-making YouTube has generated recently.

48. Comment by Doijj — May 18, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

911, what is your emergancy?

Jason Steele and Robert Benfer won’t make Knox Kast Radio 75, and a bunch of annoying fans won’t stop talking about it, even though if they did it, it would most likely suck.

Oh my god, that’s horrible!

CLICK

Well are you going to do anything… hello?

49. Comment by Samuel Shaver — May 18, 2009 @ 4:03 pm

Jason- What is “Badgers”?

50. Comment by Jason Steele — May 18, 2009 @ 5:00 pm

Samuel Shaver – badgers are a group of carnivorous mammals of the Mustelidae family.

51. Comment by Adam — May 18, 2009 @ 6:00 pm

holy 46 comments. If it hasn’t been mentioned I’d like to see the Adult Swim pilots and various things involved with that.

But as for everytihng else:
    Out-takes from World of Dentists and Dad Cop
    Behind the Scenes Dad Cop
    Some video of yourself and Matt Books
    def Badgers
    all that, what you mentioned, and anything that involves your flabulous forms of comedy.

and I’ll throw in KKR 75, becuase I would seriously buy a 20$ DVD with just that, man. Don’t judge me. Don’t judge me, Peter!

52. Comment by personman — May 18, 2009 @ 6:49 pm

@Jason Steele – I’ve seen it happen several times. A person has an internet cartoon series, he starts releasing DVDs, and then he decides to take about half of his videos off YouTube. I’m glad you won’t, but it happened with Neurotically Yours and Seth McFarlane’s Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy.

53. Comment by Spencer — May 18, 2009 @ 7:22 pm

You should try to get the guy who did the German fandubs and get him 2 make one for every one of ur movies, and use those as well.

54. Comment by Ben — May 18, 2009 @ 8:25 pm

I’d really love behind the scenes like you said, and commentary is also amazing. (From Jason and Knox, I hope)

55. Comment by Nick — May 18, 2009 @ 10:01 pm

This sounds SPECTACULAR

56. Comment by AFry — May 19, 2009 @ 1:28 pm

I’m all for the commentary, that sounds like a ball of monkeys.

Maybe have commentary with Matt Books or Gian.
    Gian’s could be in SPANISH

57. Comment by Snazzman — May 19, 2009 @ 5:38 pm

You could have chaos pony ep 2 on it! The first one was great by the way. Especially the part where you tell all your fans how to buy the new DVD early when it comes out!

58. Comment by Master.Cylinder — May 19, 2009 @ 10:54 pm

I have nothing I’d like to see that hasn’t already been mentioned.
    As long as it ships to Canada, and you don’t mind accepting our Canadian Colones, you have me sold.

59. Comment by Jason Williams — May 20, 2009 @ 4:03 am

Snazzman: Since when was Chaos Pony out?

60. Comment by Jason Steele — May 20, 2009 @ 10:55 am

Jason Williams – It’s not.

61. Comment by dingQUOT — May 20, 2009 @ 11:35 am

Definitely a trailer for Spatula Madness or some sort of featurette on the Making Of Spatula Madness and some stuff we haven’t seen. Not the teaser. It would definitely be another reason to grab the DVD.

62. Comment by Devils Dog — May 20, 2009 @ 12:42 pm

Snazzman, shut the hell up and say something useful

I Gave up on chaos pony, i dont care about it now, or KKR 75

But you could have a bonus cd with it that has KKR 75 and Chaos Pony 1 on it

63. Comment by Olly — May 20, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

Make shipping international. What kind of prices are we talking about here… for special features, perhaps a very short sneaky peek at some spatula madness? :P

-olly

64. Comment by Addison Amiri — May 20, 2009 @ 3:36 pm

You should put a 10 minute video of Matt Books making funny sounds.

65. Comment by Jared Johnson — May 21, 2009 @ 12:14 am

I like Knox and everything, but I’d prefer it if he had very little to do with this DVD. Jason Steele doesn’t need to always associate himself with Knox. It makes him look like a spin-off, when he’s fully his own creative personality.

66. Comment by Kamandar — May 21, 2009 @ 3:38 pm

you could, like, abridge your own videos and make them super special awesome

67. Comment by Christian — May 21, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

Do you still have those audition tapes you were talking about on KKR? If so, you should include those.

68. Comment by foodmansam — May 21, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

what about that video of that crazy taxi driver in LA you mentioned in KKR? And i agree with christian, i would like to see that too.

69. Comment by Jason Steele — May 21, 2009 @ 4:16 pm

Christian and foodmansam – I’m not going to be putting the more obscure stuff like that on the DVD, the majority of people buying the disk won’t understand what any of it is.

70. Comment by Kabanaw — May 21, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

You should defenitely add a “day in the life of Jason Steele” movie, even if half of it is just you animating/playing video games.

Also, out takes, commentaries, script writing, and take us on an all-access tour of your fan mail account.

71. Comment by Devils Dog — May 22, 2009 @ 4:11 am

Jason, you could explain shortly at the start, what it’s about

EG.

In LA, Me And Matt went on a taxi, with a crazy driver, here is what happened

Or something… it would be funny if you had the footage of the Hotel guy and you arguing as well

72. Comment by Christian — May 22, 2009 @ 3:20 pm

Yeah, I was basically going to say what Devils Dog said.

73. Comment by John Doe — May 22, 2009 @ 3:50 pm

I agree with Olly, let it ship internationally

other than that please make a Cloak and Robert Mitchum commentary as that alone would make me buy it

74. Comment by Mart — May 22, 2009 @ 5:05 pm

You should deffinetly have easter eggs on the DVD, don’t know what those easter eggs should be, but you should seriously put some of them on the DVD, yay for easter eggs

75. Comment by Angela — May 23, 2009 @ 3:35 am

Music Please….. Instrumental version of Charlie 3 especially.

Our household don’t really like to see too much gruesome stuff.

76. Comment by Doijj — May 23, 2009 @ 6:06 am

A live action short muscial, exclusive to the dvd! In the style of your christmas movies!

77. Comment by Ryan — May 23, 2009 @ 10:45 am

Commentary with Knox/Matt
    KnoxKast Episode 75
    Bloopers
    Orange Movie
    Making a Grilled Cheese Sandwich: 2

78. Comment by Eat Sleep Folk — May 23, 2009 @ 12:24 pm

redo the sub par voice acting of Secret Agent Bob and I’ll buy it

79. Comment by Narvré — May 24, 2009 @ 1:57 am

How about a stream of consiousness? Just you streaming the most random thoughts that pop into your mind as you stare down the lense of a camera.

Probably won’t happen but that’s one of my favorite things to watch.

80. Comment by Wilder Shaw — May 25, 2009 @ 8:36 pm

I like how you say “our movies”, as though it’s not just you making them.
    Ha ha.

81. Comment by Jason Steele — May 25, 2009 @ 9:21 pm

Wilder Shaw – all of the live-action movies were done as a group, and there are a few of my animated movies that have multiple voice actors (Llamas with Hats, The Cloak…)

82. Comment by Spiff — May 25, 2009 @ 10:37 pm

animations and/or live action remakes of EACH AND EVERY KKR EPISODE EVER (raw and uncut…and maybe cut for the whimps in the general audience)

oh and you cant include an episode 75 ever in there. its best to leave it to everyones imagination.

83. Comment by Dustin — May 26, 2009 @ 4:38 am

Live gerbils

84. Comment by Brownie — May 26, 2009 @ 6:24 am

Honestly, the only things I would want a FilmCow DVD would be:
    Movies with commentary
    Bios of actors in your films
    Audition videos for Bloodlust and sockpuppets
    audio recording of you and Matt Books in LA.

85. Comment by Tyler — May 26, 2009 @ 9:08 am

That would be so cool! You know what else would be cool? Could you PLEASE add the other 2 Charlie the Unicorn videos to iTunes? I want to get them on my iPod Touch. Could you PLEASE add them?? I don’t care if I have to buy them! PLEASE!

86. Comment by Jason Steele — May 26, 2009 @ 9:41 am

Tyler – they ARE on iTunes. Subscribe to the video podcast. iTunes only shows a few videos until you’ve subscribed.

87. Comment by matthew — May 26, 2009 @ 2:58 pm

I think you should include, a rise to fame segment for the firt charlie vid (eg: when charlie was on the radio),and a blooper reel lolz.

88. Comment by Dustin — May 26, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

YEAH JASON DO A BLOOPER REEL THAT WILL BE SO FUNNY SO SEE THE LLAMAS MESS UP THEIR LINES!

89. Comment by Gooseberrysoda — May 26, 2009 @ 6:16 pm

Include some music or a video of your day or a tribute to all the wonderful people on the forum

90. Comment by Snazzman — May 26, 2009 @ 10:02 pm

You could feature trailers of future movies, and is there any way will be able to preorder this DVD from your fine establishment? Oh, and just to let many of you know, I think there’s a secretagentbob website featuring many of jasons old videos, including space fish.

91. Comment by Snazzman — May 26, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

oh, and gooseberrysoda, wasn’t kkr 34 or something fan appreciation day?

92. Comment by RichardOn — May 26, 2009 @ 10:14 pm

Interesting site, but much advertisments on him. Shall read as subscription, rss.

93. Comment by SR — May 26, 2009 @ 10:50 pm

Jason-
    This is off topic but when are you releasing Gods of Olypus? I want to see it REALLY bad.
    -Thanks,
    SR
    blahblahyo.webs.com

94. Comment by Devils Dog — May 27, 2009 @ 10:31 am

make a snazztastic edition

95. Comment by Cowlord — May 27, 2009 @ 9:26 pm

A video of you showing us how to make some of your smoothies.

An animation for Socktopia.

And Orange.

And Gian/Matt/Knox/Evil Knox/You/(And if you can find the barbarian guy) commentary.

96. Comment by Spiff — May 27, 2009 @ 10:37 pm

referring back to one of Jason’s earlier statements “I’m not going to be putting the more obscure stuff like that on the DVD, the majority of people buying the disk won’t understand what any of it is” i think its safe to say that a majority of your fans have listened to KnoxKast so itd be hurdy gurdy if there SOME throwbacks to knoxkast
    (the evidence is all around you, check your forums, knoxs forums, and many of these comments.)

97. Comment by Jason Steele — May 27, 2009 @ 10:55 pm

KnoxKast had 10 thousand listeners. Charlie the Unicorn has 50 million views. Even my least popular movie has more views than any episode of KnoxKast ever got. I think it’s safe to say the majority of my fans have never heard of KnoxKast.

98. Comment by Jason Williams — May 28, 2009 @ 7:22 am

You’re going to be able to buy a lot of pogs with over a million potential buyers! You may need a warehouse for all the pogs and frisbees. Walmart will be happy by your purchase (or whichever place you buy them from).

99. Comment by Devils Dog — May 28, 2009 @ 10:32 am

As i said, make a snazztastic edition with Knoxkast on it

100. Comment by Devils Dog — May 28, 2009 @ 10:33 am

On a bonus cd i mean containg
    KKR 75
    Chaos Pony 1

101. Comment by Devils Dog — May 28, 2009 @ 10:34 am

100th Comment

I’m so awesome

Give us a release Date jason!

102. Comment by Blane — May 28, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

Jason, you should start your own radio show. No restrictions like IT HAS TO BE EVERY MONDAY, just a podcast you do every once in a while with a rotating cast of cohosts.

Your parts of KnoxKast were the only reasons I really listened, ha ha.

103. Comment by maxtac — May 28, 2009 @ 6:22 pm

Jason you should just make it with some vids and maybe a special feature or two, dont go insane…yet

by the way is it just the one dvd or will there be more, say, for future vids? just curious

104. Comment by Taco Wiz — June 1, 2009 @ 11:23 am

1. Include the Charlie the Unicorn pitch for [adult swim].
    2. The YouTube Live promo, the YouTube Live performance, and the Hot Topic commercial.
    3. Closed captions/subtitles, for those who lack hearing.
    4. A bunch of techno remixes of all your music.

105. Comment by Faduki — June 4, 2009 @ 11:10 am

Two words: Easter Eggs.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.